The world is changing, and so are our food habits. Who wants to waste their time standing in line to get groceries anymore if we can get our favourite meals delivered straight to us?
But food delivery apps like Uber Eats also have their downsides. Yes, they are convenient. But how good is the quality of the food? How will it hold up during the drive over? And how much money do we overspend on it?
Customers pay a significant premium on top of the cost of their average order. Let’s say that a typical meal costs around $20. Did you know that ordering the same meal on Uber Eats can easily cost you $30?
Our editors knew there had to be a different way to skip the trip to the grocery store without burning a hole in your wallet. When we discovered the trend of meal kits - HelloFresh being the most popular one - we decided to take a closer look and compare the subscription service with Uber Eats.
You’ll be surprised by what we discovered:
- Both deliver to your doorstep
- Both offer a variety of meals that cater to different dietary needs
- Both are convenient and save you time
- Both provide a flexible and straightforward online ordering process
- HelloFresh meals start at only $4.55 per serving
- Uber Eats charges many additional fees (You may end up paying double as much as if buying the same meal at a restaurant)
- HelloFresh meal kits include pre-measured ingredients and step-by-step instructions to make cooking fast and easy (Most meals are ready in less than 30 minutes)
- Food Delivery Apps limit you based on the restaurants and meals available in your area (The average food delivery takes 30-45 minutes)
- Each HelloFresh recipe includes nutritional information
- With food ordered through delivery apps, like Uber Eats, you never actually know the nutritional content of what you eat
HelloFresh is a moderately priced meal kit service that delivers ingredients measured to the right amounts along with easy-to-follow recipe cards straight to your doorstep. You get to select from a rotating, weekly menu of 35 delicious recipes. Furthermore, HelloFresh offers six meal plans you can choose from:
- Mostly Meat
- Family Friendly
- Smart Meals
- Quick and Easy
The meal kit subscription service is excellent for reducing the burden of meal prepping and grocery shopping. They deliver you pre-portioned ingredients (so no food waste), along with easy-to-follow recipe cards with only a few simple steps, so dinner is ready in just 30 minutes. Plus, you can skip a week or cancel the service anytime.
The recipes are easy to make and priced lower than many competitors, take-out, food delivery, and the grocery store!
The only downside of HelloFresh is that it may not be ideal for someone who follows a strict diet, such as vegan or keto.
Uber Eats Review
Uber Eats is a food delivery service that lets you order from your favourite restaurants in your area. Browse the UberEats app for meals, place your order and track the delivery. Uber Eats makes it easy to enjoy your favourite food at home - zero cooking involved - but you definitely pay for the convenience:
- Delivery fees vary by restaurant and range from $1 to $7
- A service fee of 15% of your total order
- An extra cost for small orders
- Tips for driver and restaurant
On top of that Uber Eats charges restaurants a 30% commission, leading restaurants to jack up their prices in the app. Many customers also complain about their food being delivered cold.
Like with everything else in life, both services have their pros and cons. But if it comes down to choosing one, we’d go with HelloFresh!
If you are on a budget, care about your health, and want to make more home-cooked meals, we believe meal kits are the better move for you. This way, you avoid paying extra premiums for all the additional fees a food delivery service comes with, and you don’t take the risk of receiving cold or soggy food!
Furthermore, you get to improve your cooking skills and explore cuisines from all around the world! Your health and bank account will thank you.