Since we haven't been going out much recently, our editors explored several at-home wine options to have with dinner, or while winding down. And what better way than to sample some of the top wine delivery services out there?
Receiving a box of wine every month sounds like a dream. So we did our research, and it turns out there are tons of wine services out there. But the main contenders that kept popping up were: Tasting Room, Winc, and NakedWines.
We decided to try all three. Here's what we discovered:
- All three save you money and make wine-buying simpler.
- All three help you try wines from around the world and expand your taste palette.
- Tasting Room sends 6-bottle or 12-bottle cases per shipment | Winc allows you to use credits on 4-bottles every month
- NakedWines is not a true subscription, unlike Tasting Room and Winc which deliver monthly.
- Tasting Room orders can ship every 1,2, or 3 months | Winc's shipments are monthly and NakedWines you order as needed
- Tasting Room's first shipment is $49.95, after that a shipment costs $75 (6-bottles) or $150 (12-bottles)
- Tasting Room's bottles cost only $8.30 each in the first shipment - And $12.50 per bottle in subsequent shipments, Winc's bottles cost between $13 and $20 and NakedWines range from $9.99- $25, with most being in the $15-$25 range
- Tasting Room's shipments are curated and hand-picked by our team of experts | With Winc and NakedWines you make selections yourself
- With Tasting Room you have access to a personal wine concierge (Monday - Friday, 10 am - 6 pm EST)
Tasting Room's website is a dream to navigate – no quizzes or algorithms in sight. To sign up, choose whether you want reds, whites, or a mix, and let the experts curate your shipments for you! The first shipment cost us only $49.95 for 6-bottles – normally $210 in value! Having access to a personal concierge is what really separates Tasting Roomfrom every other wine club. It's refreshing to talk to a real human instead of receiving the same old automated recommendations list we'd gotten from other wine clubs.
After trying a wide variety of Tasting Room's wines, we were thoroughly impressed. We'll be honest, for such an affordable price we didn't expect the wines to be of such high-quality. But every bottle was delicious and our Tasting Room concierge is truly an expert. Our concierge is super insightful and so informative about wines and how we can broaden our wine palate with carefully selected bottles tailored just for us. It felt wonderfully personal. We could tell by the content of our next shipment how they really listen to us and continue to calibrate our preferences. The following case was even better than the first but still affordable, each bottle coming to just $12.50 ($75 overall)!
Interactive At-Home Tasting
Wine Delivered To Your Door
Try Tasting Room Today!
Winc also starts you off with a quiz. They ask similar questions, such as how you like your coffee, and if you like salt, citrus, mushrooms, and berries. We liked that Winc got to know our tastes, but wish there had been a true tasting aspect. Based on your answers, they'll send 4 bottles a month, costing $13 per bottle.
If you wish, you can add more bottles to your monthly orders and rate your wines so Winc continues sending bottles that suit your palate. Winc's Insider Access Membership costs $59.95 per month and is redeemable as member credits, which can be used to purchase Winc items. You can skip as many months as you need.
NakedWines has no personalized profile or quiz. As a member, you invest $40 every month into your Naked Wines' "piggy bank" which can be used on individual wine orders whenever you please.
It's not a wine subscription - you simply buy wine directly from the site, but at a better value. However, they do include extra wine samples in their deliveries! There are other perks like invites to wine tastings and a free $20 bottle with every case of wine ordered.
Overall Winner: Tasting Room
Overall, we found Tasting Room the best wine delivery service. Its subscription service is accessible to anyone - from wine nerds, to complete beginners. It's their next-level attention to personalization that keeps us coming back for more.
NakedWines is definitely more suited to wine buffs who know their taste, as it's up to you to know what wines to order. Ultimately, it wasn't the full-service experience we were looking for. Although Winc's subscription service is good, it's not as personalized as Tasting Room. We put this down to the continued insights and support you recieve from your concierge.
Over time, Tasting Room's experts get to know you and continually curate their choices based on that knowledge. Tasting Room feels like an exclusive service, whereas Winc is like shopping at an online liquor store.
Also Tasting Room's cost-per-bottle is a real deal - a lower price for wine that retails anywhere from $25-$40 per bottle. Also, we prefer the wines from Tasting Room. Not only do they taste great, they make us feel like we have great taste.
Tasting Room is offering a special promotion to our readers: Follow this link to get your first 6 bottles for only $49.95 (that's $40 in savings)!