Today our editors will review HelloFresh — the easy-to-make, tasty recipes with pre-portioned ingredients delivered right to your door. Want to find out more about the meals, our editors’ first impressions, and the final verdict? Keep reading…
1. HelloFresh Meal Kits
Cooking quality dinners night after night, week in week out is a challenge for us all. And over the past few years, it seems that the entire world got into meal kits. And some of those deliveries arrived with yellowed kale, impossible instructions, or missing ingredients. Or we got locked into a lackluster subscription.
So our editors did a deep dive on “most popular meal kits.” And up popped HelloFresh! Touted as America’s #1 Meal Kit, our editors just had to give it a try.
Our editors are out-and-out omnivores — we’ll eat anything. The meals all look terrific, so it was tough to restrain ourselves. But we finally narrowed it down to these 3 HelloFresh meals:
- Apricot-Sumac Chicken w/ Roasted Veggies, Lemony Bulgur & Almonds
- White Cheddar Wonderburgers w/ Old Bay Fries, Caramelized Onion & Special Sauce
- One-Pan Cantina Shrimp Fajitas w/ Spicy Guacamole & Smoky Red Pepper Crema
2. First Impression
We were immediately impressed because you’re in charge. You decide the number of meals you’d like each week and choose your favorite recipes from their weekly rotating menu of 35+ chef-curated meals.
HelloFresh has a wide range of global-inspired recipes to explore and offers meals that fit into a range of categories, including Meat & Veggie, Family Friendly, Veggie, Pescatarian, Fit & Wholesome, and Quick & Easy. There’s something for everyone.
Our HelloFresh box arrived at the door packed with fresh, pre-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow recipe cards that make cooking absolutely stress-free.
So we dove right in and got cooking.
- We started with the Apricot-Sumac Chicken w/ Roasted Veggies — Only HelloFresh chefs could come up with the brilliant combo of sweet apricot jam + the tart punch of sumac. Then there’s the lemony bulgur, roasted zucchini, chili-kissed onion, and pre-sliced almonds. Frankly, the sumac makes this an irresistible Middle Eastern-inspired meal. We had this on the table in 30-minutes. Not bad for such an adventurous recipe. We couldn’t have done it without the super-clear, step-by-step recipe card. Plus, it’s Calorie Smart — such a win.
- White Cheddar Wonderburgers w/ Old Bay Fries — This burger really is a Wonderburger. In the final minutes of cooking, we melted ooyey-gooey white cheddar over the super-thin patties, then added the mouth watering caramelized onion. The Old Bay fries pair perfectly with a HelloFresh special sauce. These babies simply vanished, all that was left was crumbs from the toasted potato buns. Satisfied smiles and compliments all round.
- One-Pan Cantina Shrimp Fajitas — This meal is quick-n-easy, and downright fajita-tastic. We tossed spiced shrimp, sautéed poblano, and onion in lime juice — talk about zing! Then tucked the shrimp in fluffy flour tortillas, added a dollop of guac, a drizzle of red pepper crema, and a dash of hot sauce. And the best part? We whipped up this yummy meal in only 20 minutes. Far more healthy — and cheaper — than take-out!
Overall, HelloFresh provides a magnificent experience. Their meals are fresh, convenient, and save us time and money. The portions are just the right size and reduce food waste. We’re so happy to see that HelloFresh is the first carbon-neutral meal kit — a total win for us and the planet.
HelloFresh is cheaper than takeout or buying groceries. They’re super flexible and allow you to skip a week, swap out meals, or opt out if you want.
Find out how easy and yummy dinner can be with HelloFresh! Our friends at HelloFresh are extending a special offer to our readers! Follow this link to get 21 Free Meals and Free Shipping!