Meal kits have been on the rise for years, and they’re definitely here to stay.
Who can say no to pre-portioned ingredients and recipe cards that walk you through every step of the process? They’re delivered right to your door and make dinner a breeze.
However, if you’re looking to try one, it can feel a bit overwhelming. With so many meal kit companies out there, how do you know which one is right for you?
We’ve taken a look at the top brands and narrowed it down to two of the best: Everyplateand Sunbasket. So, we tried and tested them both to see which one is worth your time and money.
Here's what we thought:
- Both are subscription-based
- Both prioritize high-quality ingredients sourced from suppliers with whom they have strong, trusting relationships
- Both use insulating materials and ice packs to keep their ingredients fresh during shipping
- Both pre-portion their ingredients so you only have exactly what’s needed for each recipe
- Both offer a variety of plans and meals
- Both provide recipes that take 30-minutes or less to cook
- Both plans are flexible with options to skip, pause, or leave
- EveryPlate starts from $4.99 per serving - Sunbasket meals begin at $11.49 per serving
- Sunbasket has a separate Fresh & Ready option for pre-made meals
- EveryPlate's menu has 17 new recipes every week - Sunbasket offers 15 recipes each week
- EveryPlate recipes take 20-30 minutes to cook - Sunbasket has recipes that can take as long as 45 minutes
- Level of difficulty for EveryPlate dishes is easy with no more than 6 steps
- EveryPlate has more discounts and regular special offers compared to Sunbasket
- EveryPlate offsets all its carbon emissions - Sunbasket has yet to take on this initiative
Sunbasket caught our eye for the number of choices - endless. You get to choose from 9 different menus including Paleo, Carb-Conscious, Chef’s Choice, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Pescatarian, Lean & Clean, Mediterranean, and Diabetes-Friendly.
We appreciate how Sunbasket makes it easy for those with specific dietary needs to still enjoy a meal kit dinner. Simply select options to avoid certain ingredients like dairy and soy, or enter your preference for high fiber, low sodium recipes. Their meals fit your needs but still sound fun and flavorful like the Thai-style Spicy Yuba Noodle Soup With Potato and Bell Pepper and the Pulled-pork Taquitos With Tomatillo Salsa Verde and Queso Fresco.
While we like having options… we were a bit overwhelmed. Sunbasket has their 9 menus plus, tons of grocery store add-ons covering breakfast, lunch, snacks, protein, and pasta & sauce. Honestly, we were dizzy.
If you’re looking for a straightforward meal kit service, you may feel bogged down by Sunbasket’s robust offerings. However, if more is what you need you’ll love being able to choose between 2 and 4 servings for 2 to 5 dinners per week.
After trying Sunbasket for a couple of weeks, we didn’t find it to be worth the price of $11.99 per serving - and it can go up to $14.49/serving. Yes, you get organic produce and interesting recipes but the longer cooking time and steeper cost prevent Sunbasket from coming out on top for us.
Get An Exclusive Offer For EveryPlate
Try EveryPlate With An Exclusive Offer Today!
EveryPlate and Sunbasket are both excellent options for those considering a meal kit. You can check fresh, high-quality ingredients off your list for both. But in the end, it all comes down to value.
After trying both we’re sticking with EveryPlate. On their plan, we actually save money and time thanks to their game-changing $4.99 per serving. With EveryPlate, everything from signing up to sitting down for dinner is a breeze.
Sunbasket may offer more dietary options and menus for a higher price, but EveryPlate triumphs in every other aspect including variety, convenience, and price.
Save money, while enjoying quick and yummy, home-cooked meals with EveryPlate.